Sunday, March 5, 2017

Not Your Mom's Chicken and Rice - Make Ahead Freezer Meal


When I have leftover rice or chicken, I put them into a bag labeled with the start date (the date I first put leftovers into the bag).  Once I have 2 cups of rice and 2 cups of chicken, this is our goto leftover recipe.  My family HATES leftovers and if they figured out they were leftover, they wouldn't eat them....no one has figured me out yet!   By adding so many flavors to the chicken and rice, the recipe taste like I made it all today.  




Chicken and rice
  • 2 cups cooked white rice
  • 2 cups cooked chopped chicken (about half of a rotisserie chicken)
  • 8 oz French onion dip
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup French fried onions  (We use homemade croutons)



Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x13-inch pan with cooking spray. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine chicken, chicken soup, French onion dip, cheddar cheese, chicken broth and cooked rice. Spread into prepared pan. Top with French fried onions.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.



This can be a make ahead casserole.  Simply combine all ingredients except cheese and freeze (I freeze it with the cheese in a separate zip lock bag.  The reason you freeze the cheese separately is that you want the cheese melted, not crusty and brown.  Cook the casserole until it's hot, then top with cheese and cook a few minutes longer to melt the cheese.  

No comments:

Post a Comment