Saturday, July 16, 2016

My Rant about "Good China" Think KonMari Minimalism!

Let me take a moment here to talk about our fancy dishes and silverware. Long Long ago, before I was married, a friend of mine got married, and about a year later, invited me to her house for dinner. She sat me at her dining room table next to her china cabinet full of pretty china and fancy flatware. While I was eating, I noticed that my fork was discolored and wearing out. I commented that they had not lasted long and she said no, that she agreed that they didnt last long at all. So I asked her why she was eating off of awful looking flatware when she had some really pretty stuff in her cabinet. Her reply was, "That is for SPECIAL" occasions. I suddenly felt unspecial. Having me over didnt warrant using the "GOOD" flatware.
A few weeks later, hubby's grandmother unexpectedly died. We went to her house, and his mom was opening box after box of unused china, glasses, linens and more. I had not seen any of it, nor had his mom. Over the years, a "special" occasion had never happened. Or at least not an occasion special enough. I decided right then and there that I would never do that. Everyone who comes to my house is special, each meal is special, every day we spend together is precious and special. We use our expensive china. Sure I dropped a cup here and there, and 15 years in, some of my plates had a chip or two, but I want my family to look at my things and say, "remember we ate off of this every time we visited?" not, "wow I guess we werent special enough to ever see this". People are more important than things. Use your things. Make them help bring joy to you and your family. What "things" have you stored away that could be bringing you and your family joy?


Have a look at my organized fridge HERE Organized Konmari Fridge
Or take a look at a week of very low budget family food Emergency food budget (very low)



© Emma Francis and EmmaFrancisishome@bloger.com, 2016. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Emma Francis and EmmaFrancisishome@blogger.com with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

#konmari #minimalism 
Follow my blog with Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. Oh, how I agree with you. I always think the things we use everyday should be special! (same idea) It's not worth spending money on things you will not use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That seemed to be the norm for my mom and grandmother. Not me I get that stuff out and use it. To pretty to be hidden away or just displayed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandmother's China set only came out once a year...when my grand-uncle and his family pay us a visit, as result it's still as good as new...makimg it at 25 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Yes, Yes, people are so much more important than things!! Use what you have to honor those whom God has placed in your life. Visiting today from Tell It To Me Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete