Saturday, February 18, 2017

Best Beef Stew Ever





Beef stew is so simple and easy that I want to make it for my family on busy days, however, I was finding that they were refusing to eat it. I would add stock, beef, potatoes and carrots to a crockpot and cook them all day just to have the kids reach for the peanut butter.

 That just wouldn't do. I was sick of eating stew for a week just to get it eaten. So I started experimenting and when I made this stew, it was gone before hubby got home to eat dinner and I had to make him something else. I made it again the next week and doubled my recipe. The double recipe got me through six people's dinner and some lunches the next day.

 Yay!

View My other Recipes here:  Recipe Index

 This recipe can be easily converted to a crockpot. The best way is to add all ingredients except the cornstarch slurry and put it on low for 10 hours or high for at least 5 hours.

 The longer you cook it, the more tender the meat becomes. I don't find it hard to make it on the stove top though. I cook the meat and add the stock, then later I peel carrots and potatoes and add them, so I can put it together while I am doing other tasks around the house. We like it served with homemade bread when I have time, or biscuits when I just don't have the time to make bread.

 I dont add oil, but if you like the flavor, you can cook your meat and onion in 1 tablespoon of olive oil.

 Best Ever Beef Stew Recipe:
 1 lb stew meat, or sirloin steak cut into 1 inch cubes
 5 medium potatoes
 1/2 bag of baby carrots, cut into smaller pieces
 1 onion, chopped
 1 16 ounce container beef stock
 1 tablespoon Worcester sauce
1 packet of onion soup mix

 In a stockpot, add stew meat and cook until lightly brown. Add onion and cook until onions are soft. Add beef stock, onion soup mix and Worcester sauce and cook for at least an hour with the lid on. The longer you cook it, the more tender the meat will become. Add potatoes and carrots and cook for 30 minutes. Mix cornstarch in cold water until lumps are gone. Add cornstarch to mix and stir.
 Serve warm.



No comments:

Post a Comment